Accidents involving buses often result in injuries that are severe and sometimes fatal in Houston, as these vehicles commonly aren’t equipped with safety belts to protect passengers in the event of a crash. Cases such as this are especially difficult when the bus in question is used to transport students back and forth to school.
Data about Bus Accidents
There are a number of statistics surrounding bus crashes, and some of these figures provide information that:
- There are thousands of bus crashes every year, and just under 100 of these of these are fatal
- School bus accidents account for 39% of all bus crashes
- 17,000 children are hospitalized every year as a result of being in a bus crash
- Just under 50% of all children harmed in bus-related accidents sustain their injuries while attempting to get on or off the bus
Primary Causes in Texas
The primary goal of most parents with an injured child in Houston is to try and figure out what caused the accident, and this can often be traced back to an error on the part of the bus company or its employees. Some of the most common causes include:
- Driver Error – This is when the operator of the school bus fails to adhere to the proper safety requirements put in place to protect children and other drivers.
- Mechanical Failure – School buses are much like any other vehicle in that they need to be serviced and inspected on a regular basis, and when this fails to happen accidents tend to follow.
- External Factors – Some factors are beyond the control of the driver, and these factors can include inclement weather, other drivers, and poor road conditions.
Texas Parents who have a child that is injured in school bus crash should consider legal action as a way to ensure problems are corrected before other children are put in harm’s way.
Getting Legal Help
Bus injuries can be very serious, as one bad crash can negatively affect your body for the rest of your life. You may feel aches and pains, or be paralyzed. Whatever your condition, it’s important that you reach out to an attorney today. Just call 713.766.5400 to schedule your free case evaluation.